Ham & Biz Band Event Box
For easy transport and easy setup the “Go-Box” comes to play. For me it is a 6m to UHF setup. I have not had the need to use HF for any event, only 6m on up. The current Go-Box has 5 radios (1 dual band) for 6 simultaneous frequencies on 10m, 6m, VHF and UHF analog and DMR. The box is a shallow 6U with 2 shelves:
- 2 DMR/ANALOG UHF Hytera Mobiles (commercial & ham)
- 1 UHF Motorola CDM1250 Part 90 and Amateur Radio
- 1 swappable position:
- VHF Motorola CDM1250 Part 90 and Amateur Radio, and/or
- 40Mhz Motorola CDM750 Part 90 and Amateur Radio (6m)
- X-Band Part 90 and Amateur Radio Capability
- 1 Yaesu FT-8900 6m,10m,2m,70cm (Amateur Radio)
- 35amp Power Supply
- Ham X-Band VHF/UHF capability
- 2 Drive-over antenna mast plates
- 2 antenna masts (12′ and 24′)
- misc multiband base and mobile antennas
The Mobile Travel Kit
A job-change is on the horizon with a weekly commute of about 150 miles (one way). The car currently has a CSI800D FM/DMR dual band radio in it. It works OK, but does not have DMR Roaming. Additionally, the car also has a APRS Mobile I-Gate with Smart Tracker.
The entire route has DMR coverage, but over two separate systems; CT ARES and NYC Metro. The car also has a DMR HotSpot via cell-internet, but that’s kind of cheating. RF Ham Radio is the goal, internet the backup!
Thus, the goal is a Roaming DMR setup so that as the car moves, the best DMR repeater is always automatically selected much like cell towers as.
GO-BOX 3 is designed based on a shallow 4U SKB Gig-Box I had laying around. At this time (it may change) it has 4 radio slots:
|CB for when traffic backup||Moto XPR4550 UHF for DMR Roam|
|Icom IC-2820 D-Star Dual Band Ham||Moto XPR4550 VHF for DMR Roam|
|Experience from using the Go-Box – the installation has been flip-flopped so that the Mototrbo radios are on the left to be easier to work while the Go-Box is on the passenger seat in the car to my right.|
GO-BOX #3 (under construction)
Box 3 will be mini standalone business level cross-band analog repeaters. The concept is in place. Radios are on the bench working. The (inexpensive) box has not yet been defined.